2014 Austin Duck Derby
Congratulations to all the winners!
This special duck got a ride on our boat. (View on our Facebook page)
Capital Cruises is a proud sponsor of the 2014 Austin Duck Derby.
- Benefiting the Austin Boys & Girls Club Foundation
- Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 10:00 am.
- Downtown Austin – Ann Richards Bridge
The ducks are coming to Austin! The Austin Duck Derby will feature 10,000 yellow adopted rubber ducks launched into the Lady Bird Lake which will race to the finish line winning prizes for their adopters. Proceeds from every duck adopted benefit the Austin Boys and Girls Club Foundation, a non-profit organization which supports and provides valuable assistance to the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Austin Area which operate 22 clubs. We help over 12,000 kids each year (and over 1,700 each day) grow into healthy, responsible, caring young adults.
KAB Clean Sweep
Capital Cruises is a proud sponsor of KAB Clean Sweep to help clean Lady Bird Lake. 2015 Clean Sweep – Saturday, April 11, 2015.
For questions regarding volunteering or registering a cleanup site, please contact Ivey Kaiser, Community Programs Coordinator, via email or at 512-391-0617 x 706.
KAB: Lady Bird Lake Cleanup
Large-scale cleanups are scheduled for the 2nd Saturday of every other month, except October. Click on a date for more information and to volunteer.
Have you ever wondered where all of the trash that floats into Lady Bird Lake comes from? After every storm (and we’ve had a lot this year) nine watersheds – Eanes, Barton, West Bouldin, East Bouldin, Blunn, Harpers Branch, Johnson, Shoal, & Waller – flow into Lady Bird Lake. Remember the cup that you stacked on top of the overflowing trash can and forgot about? Even though you knew it wasn’t really “IN” the trash can, at least you didn’t toss it onto the street. Well, the trash truck never saw your 12oz Styrofoam® cup with lid and straw because it was blown by a strong wind onto the street, where it rolled into the storm drain, sailed through the creek, and finally arrived at Lady Bird Lake. A swan, attracted by the shiny red straw, tried to eat it and separated the straw from the cup. The cup continued its journey down the lake. As you jogged around the many Zilker Park trails you noticed the cup, joined by its friends plastic bag and a the beer can twins, floating down the lake. “Ugh…why can’t people put their trash where it belongs?”, you thought to yourself.
Yes, some of the trash finds its way “innocently” into the storm drains, while other trash is deliberately tossed onto the streets: cigarette butts, gum wrappers, napkins, fliers, or that 32oz cup that held your pre-club cocktail. Everything you use then throw away ends up somewhere. Will it be the landfill, the recycling facility, or Austin’s Lady Bird Lake?
Help trash find its way out of Lady Bird Lake; register for a clean up project today.
Capital Cruises believes in giving back to the community. Here’s a list of organizations that Capital Cruises has donated to this spring:
- PAWS of Austin
- Bastrop Homecoming
- American Red Cross (Fund Red Auctions)
- Austin Montessori School Fiesta 2010
- Seton Southwest
- Center For Child Protection (Playbingo Ladies Luncheon)
- Zilker Elementary PTA (Zilker Spring Fling)
- Angelheart Children’s Shelter (4th Annual Toast to Awareness)
- Wells Branch PTA (5th Annual Spring Festival)
- Dell Children’s Medical Center (Round Rock Circle of Friends)
- The Paramount and State Theatre’s Anniversary Gala
- Capital Area Food Bank (17th Annual Reggae Fest and 20th Annual Hot Sauce Fest)
- The Alliance for Lupus Research (Austin Walk with Us to Cure Lupus)
- The Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance (5th Anniversary Celebration)
- The Hispanic Physicians Assoc. of Austin (2nd Annual Gala)
- The American Cancer Society (Cattle Baron’s Ball)
- Keep Austin Beautiful (Clean Sweep 2010-14)
- Summitt Elementary PTA